3 hours of volunteer time for this nonprofit will...
Volunteers are a valued and integral part of this world class opera company. They play a vital role by helping our artists, supporting productions, reducing costs and providing skilled assistance in virtually every department. Their hard work and generosity keeps the beauty and passion of opera alive.
Volunteer opportunities with Portland Opera include:
• Supernumerary: You can be on stage in a non-singing and non-speaking role in an opera – like an extra in the movies. Supers must be available for the entire evening rehearsal schedule and for each performance. Acting experience is a plus, but not required. Apply here.
• Light-walkers: Imagine you are an opera star, standing-in on stage for artists and/or scenery while the lighting designer adjusts and focuses the lights. You must be able to sit, stand, kneel, lay and/or hold props for an extended period of time.
• Backstage Beverage Service: Experience an opera from behind the scenes hosting our complimentary coffee canteen service for the artists, choristers, musicians and production staff during opera rehearsals and performances in the Keller Auditorium. You will set up, maintain and clean up the service so you must be able to do some lifting, go up and down stairs and move quickly.
• Costuming: Experienced sewers are always needed to assist with hand sewing the hundreds of amazing costumes that enliven an opera performance.
EDUCATION & PATRON EVENTS – VARIOUS LOCATIONS
Outgoing and friendly volunteers are needed to help us share the magic of opera with young people and thank those that support this great opera company by helping at special events, including:
• Greeting and coat check
• Decorations and flower arranging
• Taking pictures
• Assistance with set up and take down
BEHIND THE SCENES – PORTLAND OPERA PLAZA
• Support: We always need help with mailings, photocopying media articles, collating documents, covering front desk for meetings and/or lunches (answering phones and greeting visitors), easy data entry, filing, proofreading, graphic design, and catering assistance for meetings and small events at The Hampton Opera Center.
• Community: Distributing posters, soliciting in-kind donations, promoting ticket sales for special events.
Before you leave this page, would you be willing to take a 30 second survey to help us improve our site?