Oregon Food Bank, Inc. Reviews
Invite friends and colleagues to share their experiences with this nonprofit
Previous | Next
July 20, 2014
I love volunteering for Oregon Food Bank. I have gone with school groups and with my children, and here's what I love about it:
* It's easy. A very personable coordinator explains what the task for the day is (measuring rice, re-labeling product packaging, sorting potatoes), and the volunteers get right to work. It is very organized and the tasks are simple.
* I feel very productive. I've been in other situations where the volunteers are standing around, looking for something to do next -- and it can make me question how much I'm really helping.
* It's fun! Each table of volunteers figures out the best way to work together and gets into the groove. Good music is playing, and it's fun to chat with the other volunteers while you work.
* It's great for kids. It is amazing how hard these kids work! And they often get into little competitions to see who can pack the most food. I also like that it reminds them that there are so many less fortunate people, and that they can help.
* I FEEL LIKE I'M MAKING AN IMPACT. At the end of the shift, the coordinator tells us how many pounds of food we've packaged and how many people it will feed. I'm always stunned to hear how many people in Oregon are food insecure, and it feels good volunteer for an organization who's mission is to end hunger.
Would you volunteer for this group again?
For the time you spent, how much of an impact did you feel your work or activity had?
Did the organization use your time wisely?
Would you recommend this group to a friend?
When was your last experience with this nonprofit?
Previous | Next