Wildlife Preservation & Protection
Mission: the mission of the Orang Utan Republik Foundation (OURF) is to save the orangutans of Indonesia through conservation education, outreach initiatives and innovative collaborative programs that inspire and call people to action.
Results: Funds raised and administered have provided:
* 112 scholarships to Indonesian students over the past 11 years;
* 8 fellowships to Indonesian and international students over the past 10 years;
* programs to thousands of grade school students in N. Sumatra and Jakarta;
* formal and informal education programs to villagers in 16 communities near Gunung Leuser National Park;
* Orangutan Caring Week activities in Indonesia and venues around the world (since 2005)
* support for the Sumatran Orangutan Education Conference, Workshop and Summit (2006) that crafted curricula specific to reduce the killing of orangutans;
* support to the Orang Utan Republik Education Initiative Indonesia and Orangutan Caring Clubs to build institutional capacity to further the mission of the foundation (since 2006).
Target demographics: low-income college bound students in North Sumatra, Aceh and West Kalimantan, Indonesia; grade school through high school students in N. Sumatra and Jakarta, Indonesia; people at all levels of Indonesian society that threaten the survival of orangutans.
Direct beneficiaries per year: 18 college students with scholarships; and hundreds of villagers in N. Sumatra.
Geographic areas served: Indonesia
Programs: * Orangutan Caring Scholarship program, a collaboration with the Orangutan Information Center in Sumatra & Yayasan Palung in Borneo that provides 4-year scholarships to needy students in Biology, Forestry and Veterinary Science;
* LP Jenkins Memorial Fellowship, provides funds to graduate students conducting field research on orangutans and rain forest;
* Mobile Education & Conservation Unit, a program with the Orangutan Caring Club of N. Sumatra provides education and training to villagers living near orangutans to reduce the human-wildlife conflict and improve their quality of life;
* Orangutan Caring Week, a collaboration with orangutan groups, zoos and others to call attention to the plight of the species each November;
I am a scholarship beneficiary from Orangutan Republic Foundation. I'm very glad. I have many experience when i got it. I'll make a research about Orangutan and their Habitats. How we can make a comfort house for these animals. Thank you to gave me opportunity to learn more about Conserve Orangutan and it's Habitat. Save Orangutan!