Rating: 5 stars 11 11 reviews
1501 Christian Street Philadelphia PA 19146 USA
Mighty Writers teaches Philadelphia kids (ages 7 to 17) to think and write with clarity so they can achieve success at school, at work and in life.
We collect the following data: report cards, SAT test results, MyAccess results, annual survey of kids and parents/guardians. A sampling of data analysis from 2014/2015 reveals: • 96% of students who attended the afterschool program at least 3 times/week were proficient in writing for their grade levels, according to in-house data. • 89% of students who attended the afterschool program at least 3 times/week were proficient in writing by the end of the year, according to their school report cards. • 45% of students’ reading comprehension grades went up during their time in the Academy (the other 55% stayed the same). • 23% of parents saw “a great deal of improvement” in their child’s writing ability; 58% of parents saw “steady improvement.” • 88% of parents were confident that the activities in the Academy program improved their child(ren)’s grades in school.
Philadelphia students, ages seven to 17
Direct beneficiaries per year:
Geographic areas served:
• An afterschool Mighty Academy, in which elementary and middle school kids complete writing projects and homework from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday. From September to June, 30 Philadelphia students in third through eighth grades come together in each location to complete homework and short- and long-term writing projects. Volunteer teaching assistants and tutors provide small group assistance, often working one-to-one with struggling students. Daily activities include: community-building activities; literacy games; writing instruction in the genres of informative, persuasive, narrative and poetry; and homework help. We will serve at least 120 kids in the Mighty Academy after school program in 2016. • Themed writing workshops for elementary, middle, and high school students. Led by volunteers, workshops inspire creativity and career motivation by covering a wide range of topics and genres that attract kids who are not part of our ongoing programs. Workshops range from one session to eight over as many weeks. Because of the number of workshop opportunities, they comprise the largest number of participants. In 2016, we will present at least 150 workshops, serving at least 1,500 participants. • Mentorships pair kids of all the ages we serve (seven to seventeen) with professional writers in weekly, 90-minute sessions. Mentors and kids work on writing projects, school and career planning, time management, and other issues as they arise. Mentors and mentees select books to read together based on topics relevant to the mentee. We train mentors to report any issues that may need more qualified help, in-house or beyond. In 2016, we will serve at least 85 children and youth in mentorships. • A College Readiness Initiative that includes high school workshops, 24-session SAT prep courses, college admissions essay nights, college tours, and a weekly Teen Scholars program.
Filter Reviews by Role
Promote This Nonprofit
GreatNonprofits badges allow you to raise awareness of your favorite nonprofits on your own web sites!
Reviews for Mighty Writers
Get discovered. Invite people to share their experiences about this nonprofit!