Reproductive Health Care,
Mission: Maternity Care Coalition's mission is to improve maternal and child health and well being through the collaborative efforts of individuals, families, providers and communities.
Results: MCC serves over 4,000 women and babies a year. Additionally, we are Pennsylvania's largest provider of Early Head Start services.
Target demographics: Low-income pregnant women, families and children in Southeastern PA
Direct beneficiaries per year: 5,000
Geographic areas served: Philadelphia, Pottstown, Norristown, Delaware County
Programs: Public Policy, Research and Evaluation, and Services for families, Early Head Start (MOMobile, Cribs For Kids, Community Based Education, and Parenting Education)
• Assessment of family needs and linkages to material support and resources
• Enrollment of children in low or no-cost health insurance programs and other public benefits, such as Food Stamps, WIC, and housing and child care subsidies
• Referrals to career training
• Comprehensive safe sleep education and the provision of cribs to families who cannot afford them
• Education on topics such as perinatal health, child development, parenting skills, nutrition, HIV prevention & testing, and lead poisoning prevention
• Referrals to and follow-up of prenatal, pediatric, dental, and women’s health care resources
• Referrals to behavioral health services, nutrition programs, housing, childcare, education, and other community resources
• Prenatal and post-partum depression screening. Where appropriate, intervention by our staff clinician, or referral to other professional resources
• Translation and cultural mediation
MOMobile® Family Advocates stay in touch with clients and track their progress in a number of ways throughout their pregnancy and birth. They visit clients at home and contact them by mail or phone. Home visits allow Family Advocates to observe clients’ parenting practices in a comfortable environment and then teach and model effective and appropriate parenting skills. By supporting parents from pregnancy through infancy, Family Advocates can monitor and encourage participation in regular prenatal care, postpartum, and well baby care. They help moderate crisis situations and assist clients in strengthening their family support networks.