We took an injured Herron (It was hit by a car - Broken Leg) to the Sanctuary during the week at approximately 3:30pm. There was no-one around and the place was closed.
We phoned the helpline and were told to put the Herron in a cage at the front (good size cage..more of an enclosure) until they can come and see the bird.
Long Story short, no-one went to check on that bird until after 9:30am the next day (18 Hours later) and we were told the bird had died over night.
As an animal lover I'm really not happy with that as that bird was full of life when we left it and could possibly have been saved if it got the care it needed and not left to die.
I will think twice before using this place again in the future.
My name is Kerry Gunn and I am the Lake Sands District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner servicing Bay Co FL and surrounding counties. Every month I put on a program for all adult Scout leaders and in Dec 2009 the program featured Kritter, Inc. Here is the note I input into my monthly after-roundtable newsletter:
SPECIAL Thanks to LISA MABRY and KIM EVANS of KRITTER, INC WILDLIFE SANCTUARY for their slide show, clips, and presentation featuring ‘BOON”, the Barred Owl. Some takeaways include:
- they are a 501(c)(3) non-profit company located at Hombre Golf Course
- mailing address is P.O.Box 18166, PCB, FL 32417.
- website is http://www.kritterinc.com/
- they need fish: fresh, frozen, saltwater, freshwater, it doesn’t matter.
- need volunteers to be available on call to bring animals to them when folks from the outskirts of the area call in with rescued critters.
- need financial support; all donations are accepted.
- need mealworms.
- took in about 600 critters this past year.
- big project near term is to build huge Flight Tent for Raptors, 12x12x50, cost $12K.
- if your Unit is interested in volunteering or needs service hours please call Lisa at 819-3354.
I know that they were instrumental in the GULF Oil Spill clean-up helping to save many, many animals.
They have also volunteered to support scouting where Scouts who need service hours and special projects can assist Kritter, Inc with their needs.
Thanks again to Kritter, Inc for supporting Scouting!
Review from Guidestar
I have found several distressed animals. Kritter inc wildlife sanctuary's proceedures make it easy to get the animals to them. I have witnessed the care & eventual release of many birds and animals.
Review from Guidestar