First Community Housing
Rating: 5 stars 3 reviews
Issues: Homeless & Housing
Location: 75 E Santa Clara St Suite 1300 San Jose CA 95113 USA
Geographic areas served: San Francisco Bay Area
Summary of Three Core FCH Programs:
1. Creating high-quality, affordable, rental housing: First Community Housing (FCH) is committed to building sustainable, energy-efficient, high-quality, 100% affordable rental housing for those who earn less than the Bay Area’s median income. We use rotating teams of award-winning architects, engineers, and general contractors over and over and build at least two buildings at the same time. Budget: Housing developments are funded by our yearly budget.
2. Building sustainably: FCH strategically locates its developments near public transit and offers free annual transit passes to residents to reduce dependence on private cars, and significantly lowering our residents’ transportation costs. Our commitment to sustainable development includes two USGBC LEED™ NC Gold certified projects in operation, and a recently opened LEED-registered 60-unit studio project supporting the area’s first living roof. Additionally, we are planning three other developments with living rooftops and LEED registration. By constructing at least two buildings concurrently, using similar green materials and systems (but unique and individual designs) we save about 2-3% on costs which then helps pay for more expensive sustainable materials and systems. FCH builds with the tenant’s health in mind by using these green products in the construction and interior finishes:
- ENERGY STAR appliances
- Fluorescent lighting
- Low-flow water fixtures
- Low water landscaping
- Hydronic heating (uses hot water heater for space heating, saving space and cost)
- Non-toxic finishes and cabinets
- Recycled content carpeting
- Double-glazed windows and doors
- Formaldehyde-free insulation
- Recycled content interior trim and baseboards
- Engineered structural lumber which is stronger than lumber, but uses less wood
- Solar electricity generation for common areas
- Hardiboard fiber-cement siding
- Sustainable office and community room furniture
Our property management companies receive training in non-toxic cleaning solutions, the proper care of green building materials such as linoleum, and properly maintaining photovoltaic and other clean energy systems. FCH employs a Sustainable Facilities Manager to oversee rehab of existing units with green materials as well as the proper day-to-day operations noted above. Budget: FCH receives funding from corporations and foundations via grants for many of the green, sustainable elements of our developments.
3. Serving our residents: In partnership with the privately contracted comprehensive housing management services at each property, FCH provides enhanced, on-site resident services. These services are customized to the needs of tenants via needs assessment surveys, tenant community meetings and partnerships with service-based non-profit organizations. The low-income populations we serve include families, senior citizens, and individuals as well as special needs populations such as the chronically ill, the developmentally disabled, and consumers of mental health services. The Association of Regional Center Agencies (ARCA) has recognized FCH as a state leader in the development of affordable housing for special populations. Budget: The FCH yearly budget is used to fund resident services.
Filter Reviews by Role
Promote This Nonprofit
Great services..Thanks to the best service provider..
When was your last experience with this nonprofit?