Arts & Culture,
Elementary & Secondary Schools,
Mission: Education Through Music, Inc. (ETM) makes music education a reality for thousands of children who would otherwise have limited or no exposure to the arts. ETM partners with schools that lack sufficient funding for school-wide music programs, and ETM ensures that every student enrolled in these schools receives weekly music instruction.
Since 1991, ETM has harnessed the power of music to enhance the academic performance and general development of its students. Our work provides these children with the skills to become better learners and the confidence to live in an increasingly challenging world.
Results: Analysis from the 2014–15 school year indicates that ETM is meeting its objectives of supporting students’ academic achievement and general development. Overall, students in schools that receive the ETM program perform better academically than students in schools with similar demographics that do not receive the ETM program. Students’ participation in ETM music class and school performances contributes to their creativity as well as to their social and emotional capacities. The program encourages students’ motivation for school in general. Findings include:
• ETM supports students’ social and emotional development. Nearly all parents and classroom teachers (ranging from 96%–98%) believe the ETM program positively impacts students’ confidence, self-esteem, and cooperation with their peers.
• ETM positively impacts students’ academic achievement: 90% of ETM students in grades 3–8 reported on surveys that music class has helped them focus and participate more in school, and 78% of middle school students said that music class has increased their desire to go to school; 95% of classroom teachers believe ETM has enhanced students’ math, literacy, and critical thinking skills.
• Students in longtime ETM partner schools earned higher scores on the New York State Math and English Language Arts assessments compared to students in peer schools (schools serving similar demographic populations).
• Special need students in longtime partner schools earned higher Math scores than their peers in non-ETM schools.
• Partner school leadership highly rated the overall program: 92% of principals agree that participation in ETM’s program increases students’ engagement in school.
Full reports are available at www.ETMonline.org/evaluation.
Target demographics: low-income children in grades Pre-K through 8th grade
Direct beneficiaries per year: 27,000 kids
Geographic areas served: New York City
Programs: In 2016-17, we anticipate that ETM's partner school program will provide music education to an estimated 27,000 economically disadvantaged students in 48 schools in NYC who would who would otherwise have limited or no arts exposure.
ETM provides music as a core subject to every student. We hire music teachers; we train these teachers so they can be eligible to be hired by schools as part of a long-term plan for sustaining programs. We conduct outreach to classroom teachers and parents to build understanding and advocacy for music education.
By providing quality music education to close to 27,000 students and building support within school communities, our programs: provide students with musical skills and knowledge; support growth in students' self-confidence and self-esteem; support improved achievement in other academic areas; support community involvement; and increase the capacity of partner schools to sustain music programs on their own so that the benefits of music education can continue beyond the life of ETM.
ETM is a phenomenal organization! What a wonderful service they provide for inner city and underprivileged children in NYC. Everyone in the organization, from the on-site teachers and educators, to the off-site staff and administrators go above and beyond to help children every day. The organization does a fantastic job of tracking the impact of their services on the children, so you always know the services are having an impact. I cannot wait to continue to work with this truly life-changing organization!!