Mission: MISSION STATEMENT:
With memorable phrases:
“Your health: Our concern”;
“Our goal: Quality in Cancer Control”;
“Each one: Teach thirty”;
Cancer Aid Society, a National, Social, Secular, NGO stands committed for Cancer Control Globally since 1987; the second leading cause of death World Wide.
“Prevention is better than cure”, with this dictum dictate and its successful implementation this Society has the distinction of obtaining ISO 9001: 2000 Certification in the Social Sector.
We are working in tune with the guidelines of National Cancer Control Programme of World Health Organisation by generating awareness amongst children and adults in the Regional Languages throughout the Country.
Emphasizing on tobacco abuse (active and passive smoking), carcinogens, good dietary habits, exercise, healthy lifestyle, genital and personal hygiene together with early symptoms of Cancer, we aim at decreasing the Mortality by targeting 2/3rd of all Cancers through Primary Prevention and Early Detection.
We are also committed towards reducing the Morbidity in remaining 1/3rd by improving their quality of life through Palliative Care.
It was a proud moment for us to get Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations Organisation in 2012.
Cancer Aid Society waged a war against Cancer and Non Communicable Diseases in 1987 and now after two and a half decades they are being perceived as global threats. This speaks volumes about the eagle's eye Vision of the organisation.
It has made substantial dent in India against Tobacco, Cancer, NCDs and Palliative Care.
Thank you all for the everlasting support.
CANCER AID SOCIETY
Our vision and action since 1987 has now been visualized by global leaders like International Union Against Cancer, World Health Organisation and United Nations Organisation.
Appreciation letters from International Organizations
Cancer Aid Society received an appreciation letter from World Health Organisation in 2000
Appreciation for presentation at World Conference on Tobacco or Health, U.S.A. in 2006
Cancer Aid Society received appreciation from American Cancer Society USA in 2007
Awarded best NGO in Health Care at SAMAAGAM – IIM Lucknow in 2011
Participation in National / International Events
Represented the Country in the High Level meeting for the control of Non communicable Diseases at United Nations General Assembly Headquarters New York in September 2011. (www.un.org/en/ga/president/65/letters/NCD%20-%20Civil%20Society%20List%20 %2027%20June%202011.pdf)
World Cancer Congress at Geneva in 2008.
World Cancer Congress at Washington D.C. U.S.A. in 2006.
World Conference on Tobacco or Health, U.S.A. in 2006.
Several events of national repute viz. Health Mela 2001 inaugurated by The Then Honorable Prime Minister Sri. Atal Bihari Vajpayee & Organised by the Health Ministry - Govt. of India.
Membership of Govt., National or International Committees
We are having Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of
United Nations Organisation since 2012.
District Cancer Control Committee, Govt. of Delhi
“Delhi Smoke free Civil Society coalition”, Govt. of Delhi
Indian Association of Palliative Care - India
Action Council against Tobacco, Tata Memorial, Mumbai
Global Cancer Control Community, UICC, Geneva, Switzerland
GLOBALink, UICC, Geneva, Switzerland
Framework Convention Alliance, Geneva, Switzerland
NCD Alliance CIG Group, Geneva, Switzerland
Cancer Service Group (ICISG), Toronto, Canada
International Association of Hospice and Palliative Care, Houston, USA
Registered in the database of Government of India, Planning Commission’s NGO Partnership System UID No. UP/2009/0009446
Registered in the database of DESA's Civil Society database & CSO Net - the Civil Society Network of the UNITED NATIONS Headquarters, New York, USA.
Empanelled with National CSR Hub code A/1/12/08/029 at Tata Institute of Social Sciences.
Credibility enquiry by Govt. or other agencies.
Governmental enquiries conducted by District Magistrate / CMO / CDO etc. have issued a note of satisfaction in 2003
Income Tax Scrutiny Reports for the assessment years 2003-04, 2006-07 and 2007-08 have certified the credibility of the Organization and its charitable functioning after scrutiny.
Significant dent in the existing problems related with Cancer:
Tobacco Control: We had Organized several rallies and campaigns demanding ban of Smoking and Sale of Tobacco products near educational Institutions before 2004 which were one of the contributory factors towards the promulgation of COTPA 2004 by Govt. of India.
Control of Cancer and NCDs:
• Improved Life Style and Dietary Habits of young India reflected in an independent survey report of National Sample Survey Organization published in the Times of India dated May 1st 2007 Titled @ Highway to health: India eating better.
• We got stamp released on Cancer Awareness by Dept. of Post Govt. of India on 7th of November 2001, since then it is celebrated as National Cancer Awareness Day.
• International Union against Cancer - UICC (www.uicc.org) the International Apex Body on Cancer Control has advocated in 2007 the above activities under World Cancer Campaign (www.worldcancercampaign.org); which we had pioneered in 1987 having a vision 20 years prior to that of World leaders.
Palliative Care: Cancer Aid Society organized 15 workshops on Palliative Care starting from the first ever workshop of Uttar Pradesh on Palliative Care and Oral Morphine at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences in 2007.
• Due to success of the above American Cancer Society – USA awarded a project in 2007 for Organising a series of Workshops in the Govt. Medical Colleges for Addressing Palliative Care and availability of Oral Morphine for the Cancer Pain Management in the State of U.P. which has 3% of Global population along with M.P., Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh.
• The above workshops were a great success in changing mindsets of the Govt. Officials and the Medical Fraternity hence during the 16th International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative Care at All India Institute of Medical Sciences - Delhi in 2009, we were awarded the 18th International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative Care to be organized in 2011 at Lucknow and we started with its preparations in a grand way selecting the theme as “Networking in Palliative Care”.
• Annual Award for the Excellence in Palliative Care in the SAARC Countries for Rs. One Lac has been announced by us, the Award of 2012 went to Dr. Bishnudutta Paudel of Nepal.
• Honorable Supreme Court on August 24th 2012 has directed the Chief Secretaries of State Governments to make Morphine preparations available for treating the pain of terminally ill Cancer Patients.
18th International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative Care 2011, organised by Cancer Aid Society: Our two years of hard work of sensitization, advocacy and correspondence at National and International Level on Palliative Care with Governmental and other agencies yielded dramatic results which poises to effect the entire Country. The Conference was organized at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences Lucknow was a great success having 10% Foreign Delegates and the encouraging outcomes were as follows:
• We came out with a Draft of Palliative Care Declaration 2011 – the first ever of National and International Level.
• Introduction of palliative care in Medical Curriculum was a long pending demand of Palliative Care Community across India, on the eve of the Conference Medical Council of India introduced MD course in Palliative Care. Further the Chairman MCI in his message for the Conference suggested us “to come out with practicable strategies, which could be affected by the Council in coming times, so that optimal results are generated and used to train Graduates and Post Graduates in Palliative Care in a much better way”.
• The Topic of Debate held on 12th February 2011 during the Conference was Pro – “Euthanasia is humane care in face of suffering” Con – “Euthanasia is ethically unacceptable in a Civilized Society”. In March Honorable Supreme Court of India through its Judgment, Legalizes Passive Euthanasia – Times of India dated 8th March, 2011.
• Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of United Nations Organisation.
• District Cancer Control Committee, Govt. of Delhi
• Delhi Smoke free Civil Society coalition”, Govt. of Delhi
• Indian Association of Palliative Care - India
• Action Council against Tobacco, Tata Memorial, Mumbai
• Global Cancer Control Community, UICC, Geneva, Switzerland
• GLOBALink, UICC, Geneva, Switzerland
• Framework Convention Alliance, Geneva, Switzerland
• NCD Alliance CIG Group, Geneva, Switzerland
• Cancer Service Group (ICISG), Toronto, Canada
• International Association of Hospice and Palliative Care, USA
• Planning Commission’s NGO Partnership System GOI-India
• Civil Society Network of the UNITED NATIONS USA.
• National CSR Hub TISS India
It is one of the Charitable Organisations of India engaged in fight against Cancer and Tobacco since last two decades across the length and breadth of the Country.
It has the credit of getting ISO 9001:2000 Accreditation.
Cancer Aid society, the only ISO accredited social organisation ,having special consultative status with Ecosoc. I am proud to be associated with an organisation, what it perceived 25 years before is being advocated by UICC and other world authorities.
CANCER AID SOCIETY, the only ISO 9001: 2008 Accredited, National, Secular, Social, Non Profit Organisation working for the Control of Cancer through its Nationwide Cancer Control Programme Organised across the Country from last 1987
Goal of Cancer Aid Society being Cancer Control since inception in 1987 we could visualize what others could not and now Cancer has emerged as the Second Leading cause of death globally. Our 25 years old fight against Cancer has yielded results as we have got Special Consultative Status with the United Nation's Economic and Social Council and our participation in the High Level Meeting for the Control of the Non Communicable Diseases at the UN Headquarters in New York on 19th September 2011.