Mission: Grooming transformational leaders at multiple levels in the society who will bring about large scale, holistic and sustainable transformation
Results: * Close to 800 govt school children from underpriviledged backgrounds in the age group of 13-16 have benefitted in the last 3 yrs as part of Dronacharya and Ekalavya(DnE) leadership program.
* Close to 800 youngsters, college students or working professionals, have benefitted with their experience in the last 3 yrs as part of Dronacharya and Ekalavya(DnE) leadership program.
* A significant increase in the 10th grade pass percentage of ZPHS, Rasoolpura from 13% - 34% in the yr 2006-2007 and from 34%-46% in the yr 2007-2008 and similar results in 6 more schools in the yr 2008-09 as part of its flagship program DnE.
* 6 students have joined engineering in Rasoolpura for the 1st time in the history of the slum.
* In partnership with Roshan Vikas, BHUMI has mobilized 425 women from Rasoolpura community into 33 Self Help Groups(SHG’s) in the course of one year.
* A comprehensive ground water survey at Rasoolpura was done and the report has been submitted to the Secunderabad Cantonment Board.
The project was awarded second prize at Mondialgo Contest.
Awareness programmes were also conducted simultaneously for better sanitation.
* 15 Health camps conducted, 160 patients per camp
As part of its flagship program DnE, BHUMI
* Establishing a Wellness Center at Rasoolpura with focus on mothers and children below five as part of BHUMI's Preventive health plan project.
* Establishing a Community Library in Rasoolpura, facilitated by BHUMI.
* Close to 100 youngsters and school going students benefitted by English speaking and basic Computer classes in Rasoolpura.
* Close to 400 babies in the age group of 4-9 months have been assesed for developmental delays using Bayley scales of infant development in Rasoolpura over the last one yr. Babies identified with developmental delays are being regularly given intervention at NIMH.
* 2500 youngsters have engaged in the construction of govt school classrooms and toilets in the last 3 yrs as part of Freedom Under Construction event
Direct beneficiaries per year: 1500 (Includes children, youngsters, infants and SHG women)
My experience over the last 1 yr 3 months with BHUMI has been one of a roller coaster ride... tremendous satisfaction coupled with loads of challenges, moments of joy and disappointment...knowing fully well the beauty of its vision and the huge amount of patience and persistence needed in this journey.. its really testing at times, but a journey worth every bit of it. I have personally delved deeper into myself and also seen the hidden potential in each one of us emerging in our daily work, apart from the novel projects and the impact BHUMI is making on grassroots. In that sense , BHUMI is truly emerging as a Centre for Transformational Leadership.
BHUMI - Its the place to be! :)
Having been with bhumi since the inception in 2006, i have seen it going through the journey of tides... The only fuel that is driving bhumi is the high energy and true conviction in creating sustainable transformation in the world around.
The first thing that bhumi did to me was to explore myself and measure my potential... Then it provided me a platform to experience my potential.
the aspects of bhumi that drag me in always is.. The High Energy that always flows in the group, Degree of conviction, the humble noble vision, and being a perfect place to fail... not just in words but i already saw how people welcomed my failures.
Ever since the dream was born in 2006, every living moment has been that of boundless joy. Not to mean that there havent been failures or frustrations.......but for these failures we wouldnt have learnt what we did and the faith that we are on the right path continues to grow. Envisioning Bhumi and then mindfully acting each day to fulfill the dream has given meaning to my life.