Mission: 1. To bridge the social gap through quality education to the under-privileged
2. To provide a platform for socially conscious youth who want to contribute towards the nation's progress
3. Molding the youth into tomorrow's leaders
4. Ensuring that finance is not an obstacle between students and their career aspirations
5. Motivating youth to become Climate Messengers and create environmental awareness amidst common man and combat global warming through initiatives like planting tree saplings, developing neighborhood parks, creating awareness about plastic alternatives etc
Results: 1. Kanini – computer literacy programme that involves teaching of basic and advanced concepts based on the children's aptitude levels. The programme is ongoing at five chapters where over 800 children are benefitting from it.
2. Speak Out – interactive English-learning programme for children who have limited or no proficiency in the language. This programme is ongoing at one chapter where 160 children are benefitting.
3. Lakshya –mentorship programme that pairs underprivileged children with volunteers, who act as their mentors and undergo experiential learning in leadership. The programme is ongoing at three chapters where 300 children are benefitting.
4. Little Einsteins – activity-based approach to learn Mathematics and Science using live demonstrations and multimedia tools. The programme is ongoing in five chapters where 300 children are benefitting.
5. Nakshatra – Annual inter-children's home art, cultural, sports and science talent fest for children to exhibit their talents and explore their potential in an atmosphere of healthy competition. Over 5,000 children from 100 children's homes have benefitted across Chennai, Mumbai, Bengaluru, New Delhi & Tiruchirapalli.
6. Joy to the World – annual initiative to spread joy to underprivileged children by fulfilling their small wishes just ahead of the New Year. Over 5,000 children are expected to benefit this year
Target demographics: underprivileged children at orphanages, slum and village community centres
Direct beneficiaries per year: 12,000 children
Geographic areas served: Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Jaipur & Delhi NCR
Programs: Mentoring and teaching English, Mathematics, Science and Computers
The kids of Madras can dream now..Bhumi is here and here to stay.... the work is as refreshing as the name itself..if given a chance would be a volunteer and will thrive hard so that Bhumi achieve more heights...Its the mission that counts not the competition...Let bhumi conquer many heights ...God bless Mother earth (bhumi)
As the Founder Trustee of Nizhal, an NGO that promotes tree culture in urban areas, I have personally found working with Bhumi volunteers an enriching experience. Volunteers are committed and sincere, and also consistent in their interest!