Mission: A Place Called Home is a safe haven in South Central Los Angeles where undeserved youth are empowered to take ownership of the quality and direction of their lives through programs in education, arts, and well-being; and are inspired to make a meaningful difference in their community and the world.
Results: • In 2010 nearly 50% of students in our educational programs were able to increase their skills by a full grade level, remaining students increased by ½ grade
• 3,000 hours of free, comprehensive mental health counseling services for students and their families
• Computer training and access for homework. Most of our kids have no computer at home
• Over 3,000 nutritious meals are served every month to youth who live below the poverty line
• APCH offers college preparation and scholarships for students who once did not think college was a viable affordable option for them. The following are results from these programs:
• In 2010 over 60 youth received scholarships and many are the first in their families to attend college
• Bridge to the Future offers SAT, CAHSEE, GED preparation with a six-month College Prep course
• In the past year, more than 80 APCH youth attended tours of college campuses
• APCH members with long-time gang affiliations are now attending college
• 157 unduplicated APCH members, to date, have received Shaheen Scholarships for college
• 100% of APCH members receive support and opportunities for higher education
Target demographics: Low income and underserved youth (8-20 years old) and families in South Central Los Angeles.
Direct beneficiaries per year: More than 1,000 youth
Geographic areas served: South Los Angeles
Programs: Our FREE programs offer outstanding enrichment services using proven models to increase youth performance and behaviors socially and academically. These programs include:
CREATIVE EXPRESSION provides training in music, dance, digital media and fine arts;
EDUCATIONAL SERVICES where we provide tutoring, literacy, math, science and a drop-out recovery program through LAUSD;
HEALTH, NUTRITION AND WELL-BEING that offers daily nutritious meals and snacks, counseling and health resources;
COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEER INITIATIVES to empower parents & members towards advocacy and recruiting volunteers to help with APCH's mission;
RECREATION/ATHLETICS provides physical education and sports;
BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE offers transitional opportunities for teens to enter into a healthy adulthood.
I am constantly impressed with the dedication A Place Called Home provides to the youth of South Central Los Angeles. This incredible organization not only provides an amazing facility for the youth of South Central but also a caring and loving staff to mentor and serve as role models for these kids future. Anyone looking to donate there time or money cannot go wrong with APCH.
I had an opportunity to visit A Place Called Home and I was just amazed the organization, energy, and the compassion these people have by serving their community. From the academic support, music development, and to outdoor team sports, A Place Called Home has done an outstanding job instilling confidence and joy to all that have come to A Place Called Home! Bravo!
Through a friend on the board, I was invited to a fundraising event for this organization and have to say that I was incredibly impressed. The music and art that the kids produced for the event were spectacular, and their energy and commitment were inspiring. APCH is an incredible organization that clearly changes lives on a daily basis and I am happy to be even a small part of what they do.