Mission: A Place Called Home is a safe haven in South Central Los Angeles where undeserved youth are empowered to take ownership of the quality and direction of their lives through programs in education, arts, and well-being; and are inspired to make a meaningful difference in their community and the world.
Results: • In 2010 nearly 50% of students in our educational programs were able to increase their skills by a full grade level, remaining students increased by ½ grade
• 3,000 hours of free, comprehensive mental health counseling services for students and their families
• Computer training and access for homework. Most of our kids have no computer at home
• Over 3,000 nutritious meals are served every month to youth who live below the poverty line
• APCH offers college preparation and scholarships for students who once did not think college was a viable affordable option for them. The following are results from these programs:
• In 2010 over 60 youth received scholarships and many are the first in their families to attend college
• Bridge to the Future offers SAT, CAHSEE, GED preparation with a six-month College Prep course
• In the past year, more than 80 APCH youth attended tours of college campuses
• APCH members with long-time gang affiliations are now attending college
• 157 unduplicated APCH members, to date, have received Shaheen Scholarships for college
• 100% of APCH members receive support and opportunities for higher education
Target demographics: Low income and underserved youth (8-20 years old) and families in South Central Los Angeles.
Direct beneficiaries per year: More than 1,000 youth
Geographic areas served: South Los Angeles
Programs: Our FREE programs offer outstanding enrichment services using proven models to increase youth performance and behaviors socially and academically. These programs include:
CREATIVE EXPRESSION provides training in music, dance, digital media and fine arts;
EDUCATIONAL SERVICES where we provide tutoring, literacy, math, science and a drop-out recovery program through LAUSD;
HEALTH, NUTRITION AND WELL-BEING that offers daily nutritious meals and snacks, counseling and health resources;
COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEER INITIATIVES to empower parents & members towards advocacy and recruiting volunteers to help with APCH's mission;
RECREATION/ATHLETICS provides physical education and sports;
BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE offers transitional opportunities for teens to enter into a healthy adulthood.
A Place Called Home is a wonderful organization. At this moment I am taking a break from serving Thanksgiving to the South Los Angeles community. This morning APCH gave over 500 grocery bags and Turkeys that will certainly make tomorrows Thanksgiving special. My whole family is volunteering to make this day, this season a special one for the community. We love that we can come together as a family and give back. Thank you APCH!
When you believe that every child deserves an opportunity to become the very best they can be, then you would hope that all children, no matter how poor their family, could be a member of APCH. From help with homework, being tutored to being mentored, children entering APCH enter a loving , caring enviornment where they know they are safe, no matter how difficult the neighborhood in which they live. With calles in art, music, dance, computers, drama,and sports, kids get the opportunity to experience so many of the enrichment programs that are not available to them in their public schools. Finally, it is remarkable the number of members that have become the first in their family to attend university with college scholarships and guidance. Every child should have the same chance in life to maximize their potential.
APCH is contributes to children's lives everyday. This organization is not an "organization" - it is a family that works together everyday to touch and positively impact the lives of community children by giving them access to creating a healthy, balanced and personally fulfilling life. I am honored to be a part of this "family" and cannot think of a more valuable organization to donate my time or resources.
I carefully choose which organization to get close to and support for time commitment and financial reasons. APCH was the absolute right choice. I get more out of being involved and volunteering from the children that attend APCH than I could ever give back. I see the difference the staff and programs make in these young lives with everything from college scholarships to teaching the kids to back to their community. It is quite a thing of beauty.