Mission: A Place Called Home is a safe haven in South Central Los Angeles where undeserved youth are empowered to take ownership of the quality and direction of their lives through programs in education, arts, and well-being; and are inspired to make a meaningful difference in their community and the world.
Results: • In 2010 nearly 50% of students in our educational programs were able to increase their skills by a full grade level, remaining students increased by ½ grade
• 3,000 hours of free, comprehensive mental health counseling services for students and their families
• Computer training and access for homework. Most of our kids have no computer at home
• Over 3,000 nutritious meals are served every month to youth who live below the poverty line
• APCH offers college preparation and scholarships for students who once did not think college was a viable affordable option for them. The following are results from these programs:
• In 2010 over 60 youth received scholarships and many are the first in their families to attend college
• Bridge to the Future offers SAT, CAHSEE, GED preparation with a six-month College Prep course
• In the past year, more than 80 APCH youth attended tours of college campuses
• APCH members with long-time gang affiliations are now attending college
• 157 unduplicated APCH members, to date, have received Shaheen Scholarships for college
• 100% of APCH members receive support and opportunities for higher education
Target demographics: Low income and underserved youth (8-20 years old) and families in South Central Los Angeles.
Direct beneficiaries per year: More than 1,000 youth
Geographic areas served: South Los Angeles
Programs: Our FREE programs offer outstanding enrichment services using proven models to increase youth performance and behaviors socially and academically. These programs include:
CREATIVE EXPRESSION provides training in music, dance, digital media and fine arts;
EDUCATIONAL SERVICES where we provide tutoring, literacy, math, science and a drop-out recovery program through LAUSD;
HEALTH, NUTRITION AND WELL-BEING that offers daily nutritious meals and snacks, counseling and health resources;
COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEER INITIATIVES to empower parents & members towards advocacy and recruiting volunteers to help with APCH's mission;
RECREATION/ATHLETICS provides physical education and sports;
BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE offers transitional opportunities for teens to enter into a healthy adulthood.
I'm so grateful to have worked at this Thanksgiving event today. The staff was so helpful, well-organized, welcoming and fun to be around. We can't wait to come back and help again. We hope A Place Called Home can expand for years to come. Bravo!
a place called home is amazing! they offer a lot of opportunities for us. A place called home literally feels like home because they are welcoming and always willing to help out in what ever way that can.
As a member of APCH i know firsthand how much good it does to our communities and this Thanksgiving give away is another example of APCH's great impact on the lives of the members, volunteers and community people.
A Place Called Home is a great organization to help these children get a great start on the school year and it was a pleasure shopping for all the items needed for their backpacks for our office to donate. I also had a great time helping hand out the backpacks to all the kids!
I have volunteered at A Place Called Home for 3 events now, including the Christmas Toy Drive--which is a huge deal in the neighborhood. This past weekend I attended for the Back to School Drive and I was amazed at how many people line up outside, and the dedication they have to patiently wait before the sun rises! It really shows the need is there. I'm happy to be contributing to an organization that is giving back to the underserved Los Angeles community.
Volunteering with this organization is very rewarding, and worth the time. They have a great mission and strong organization, making sure that students get the help and supplies they need to have a successful future. I volunteered in their back to school giveaway and was amazed by how many students they helped, and the way they coordinated such an effective event. If you have the time to volunteer or the ability to donate, this is an organization to keep in mind without a doubt.