WOMEN FOR AFGHAN WOMEN INC Overview
Target demographics: women, girls and familes.
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: -Teach an ESL class or tutor a child in our WAW NY Community Center- Become a WAW advocate by hosting an event such as a walk-a-thon, dinner party or panel discussion.
Geographic areas served: - Directly serving 10 provinces in Afghanistan and indirectly impacting 7 more.-Directly impacting NYC and indirectly impacting Long Island and the greater NY Afghan community.
Programs: - 9 Family Guidance Centers
- 8 hidden Women's Shelters
- 3 Children Support Centers
- 2 Half-way Houses
- New York Community Center
- Washington DC Advocacy Office
- Over 7,000 women and girls helped directly though WAW services.
- Over 40,000 Afghans served through casework since we invariably also work with our clients' immediate and extended family and other community members.
- Over 125,000 Afghans reached through our human rights trainings conducted in local communities all across Afghanistan.
- Millions of people reached through our global advocacy efforts, attention in the international media and aggressive use of social media.
-Over 500 women and children have benefited from empowerment classes including ESL, computer classes and tutoring.
-Over 12,500 case management meetings counseling sessions and accompaniment to social services and legal appointments with women and families.