VIRGINIA ASSOCIATION OF MUSEUMS Overview
Profile ( less )
Target demographics: Museums, museum staff and volunteers, businesses providing museum products and services.
Direct beneficiaries per year: VAM is a membership organization for museums and museum staff, but it does not require membership for services or to participate in programs. VAM’s database of contacts contains both members and non-members who have participated in some way in a VAM program or training. Currently, we have a total of 5,874 participants listed: 3,357 who were members at the time they participated, and 2,517 who were non-members. These numbers represent 590 museums.
The participation numbers for VAM’s programs in FY 2010 are as follows:
• Workshops – 336
• Annual Conference – 425
• Homestead project (1 this year) – 12 (size is limited to 10 students and 2 faculty)
• Fundamentals Forum – 83
• Collections Boot Camp – 43
• Conservation Cubed workshops – 123
• Circuit Rider – 6 museums, 3 archives, 3 libraries
• Emergency Response – 5 new MESTs established: Eastern Shore, Virginia Beach, Abingdon, Independence/Galax, Danville
• 2008 TimeTravelers program (last full year) – 544,000museum visits
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: help with registration for our conference, write an article for our newsmagazine, research grant opportunities, help compile statistics on museums in VA, and generally pitch in!