Tennessee Aquarium Overview
Tennessee Aquarium Education Services and Programs Offered
1. Aquarium Educators in the Community – Each year, our educators have a significant impact on communities across the region. The Aquarium’s educators are routinely honored for their work.
2. Classroom Programs for School Groups
· Grades K-2 Programs -- Jellyfish Dream, Life Cycles and Animal Adaptations.
· Grades 3-5 Programs -- Build a Jellyfish, Ocean Characteristics, Wonderful Working Wetlands.
· Grades 6-8 Programs -- Aquarium Jeopardy, Coralopoly, Plankton Power.
· Grades 9-12 Programs -- Seahorse Rescue Mission.
· Lunch and Learn Programs for Students -- programs on Animal Senses (grades K-2), Reptiles (grades 3-5) and Biodiversity (grades 6-8) that are modified for each grade level.
3. Non-Classroom Programs for School Groups
· Adaptations from A-Z – Tours guided by an Educator.
· AquaGuide – a comprehensive gallery by gallery review for teachers and older students.
· AquaQuest – a self-guided tour with written question and answer followup.
· Behind the Scenes Tour – discover the complexities involved in recreating habitat components for over 10,000 animals.
4. Opportunities for Teachers
· Aquarium Orientations – workshops and open houses that enhance teaching skills, knowledge and effectiveness for teachers bringing student groups to the Aquarium.
· Teacher Inservices – workshops/classes ranging from half-day to seven-days that focus on science and environmental education in a school or outdoor classroom setting.
· Teacher Resource Lab – videos, discovery boxes and other resources available free of charge to all teaching professionals for use in their classrooms.
5. Distance Learning – Aquarium educators provide classroom sessions in a live presentation using various program animals. We have served schools across the country from New Jersey to California.
6. Outreach Programs – For school and community groups, festivals and any other venue, the Aquarium brings science and environmental education programs to the public within a 150-mile radius of the Aquarium. From pre-school to senior citizens, we strive to educate those who cannot make the trip to the Aquarium facility itself.
7. Home School Programs – Life science classes as well as field trip experiences to local habitats are available for homeschool groups. In addition, we provide discovery boxes on a wide variety of topics for use by homeschool and other groups.
8. Sleep in the Deep Programs – Groups spend the night in the Undersea Caverns while participating in educational opportunities for people of all ages.
9. Members Programs – Each year, Aquarium educators offer unique and interesting educational programs for our members from butterfly counts, to guided hikes, to wildflower classes.
10. River Gorge Explorer Programs – taking visitors directly into the Tennessee River Gorge, the Explorer expands education opportunities and conservation experiences for visitors of all backgrounds.pasting
The Tennessee Aquarium inspires wonder, appreciation and protection of water and all life that it sustains.
Photos & VideoAre you the Nonprofit? Your photos and videos would look great here!
Promote This Nonprofit
Great Nonprofits badges allow you to raise awareness of your favorite organizations on your own web sites. for text link or graphic badge.Get badge