SNACK & Friends, Inc Overview
Target demographics: The population SNACK serves includes children ages 3-18 in the New York City metropolitan area on the autism spectrum, PDD, ADD, ADHD, Sensory Issues, Asperger's Syndrome, Apraxia as well as other similar developmental and behavioral disorders, many who currently are unable to attend programs designed for children with special needs due to their intensive needs. SNACK welcomes those with physical disabilities, verbal and non-verbal language abilities, across all socio-economic, race, and ethnic backgrounds.
Programs: PROGRAM ACTIVITIES:
All SNACK program activities are led by individuals, trained in their particular discipline, such as art, music, drama, yoga, movement, swimming and sports. Our 2:1 child to staff ratio and the ABA approach enable those children, who are not served through other programs, the ability to participate in these kinds of classes. Our programs run continually throughout the year during after-school hours from Tuesday through Friday, plus a full days Saturday and Sunday, and currently held in two (2) locations in the New York Metropolitan area.
• SNACKtivities Socialization program: a highly structured 2-hour program featuring a variety of individual and group activities designed and staffed to promote socialization among peers in a fun environment. Activities include: Music, Art, Movement, Yoga, Sports and Snack time.
• Private Swim lessons: one-on-one swim lessons ensures each child’s safety and helps children with special needs develop confidence in the water by learning proper swimming strokes, floating, and breathing techniques. Swimming has proven to be particularly therapeutic and enjoyable for ASD children, helping to calm sensory input and focus on physical coordination.
• Soccer classes: utilizes entertaining and easy-to-follow soccer drills to help children incorporate much-needed notions of structure and task completion into their lives.
• Sports classes: allow children to participate in basketball, kickball, calisthenics and other group sports. This program promotes the idea that athletics can aid these children’s development in ways similar to that of typical children.
• Family Sunday Swim Program: enables the entire family - ASD children, their parents and their siblings - to enjoy and participate in recreational activities together as a family
• Holiday Programs: filled with SNACK program activities and opportunities for socialization when school is closed.
• Community Outings: offers children the opportunity to generalize the skills they have learned at school and at SNACK in natural environments and social settings, provide peer modeling by including interaction with typically developing peers (siblings) and involves the whole family. Outings have included: SNACK Movie Outings enabling SNACK families and their friends to enjoy a movie together; Soccer Tournament Field Trip; Family Fun Day with sports & pumpkin picking activities; and Story Time at neighborhood Barnes & Noble.