Noida Deaf Society Overview
Profile ( less )
Direct beneficiaries per year: 300 Deaf Youth per annum
Geographic areas served: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
a) Develop Life Skills amongst the Deaf
b) Build employability skills for Deaf Youth
c) Create a pool of Deaf Trainers
d) Develop teaching and learning resources for the Deaf Community
2. The student strength is growing entirely through word of mouth.
3. We have successfully set up two centers where our students are coming from all over the country especially from rural parts of U. P, Uttaranchal, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Bihar and so on and so forth. Our students are traveling long distances from places as far as Meerut, Aligarh, Ghaziabad, Sonipat, Faridabad, Delhi and Gurgaon.
4. A first for the Deaf Community, the DTP Graphic Design Course designed and conducted by The NIIT media staff on a voluntary basis. The NIIT Institute (TNI) is accrediting both the Basic Computer Application and Graphic Design students.
5. Our training is based on market research and is job oriented in nature. We facilitate regular interaction with the industry for our students. We have successfully placed 120 of our students in a variety of profiles in leading companies.
6. Lack of communication in the lives of Deaf has kept them away from all spheres of learning including social skills, life skills. We at NDS therefore focus on imparting these critical soft skills to all our students so that they are able to sustain themselves in their everyday lives and can grow to become confident individuals
7. Towards sensitizing the society, we organize workshops and talks on the issue of deafness at various forums like schools and corporates.
8. NDS was selected and filmed by NDTV, for a special telecast on ‘Achievers’ shown on Times Now on 15th August 2008.
9. Interpreters from NDS have been chosen for three consecutive years to interpret for the President of India at the World Disability Day celebrated on 3rd December every year.
10. Ruma Roka was also chosen to interpret for the Indian Team at the International Abilympics (Olympics of Ability) held in Japan in November 2007
11. NDS received national acclaim on the eve of 2nd December 2008, in the form of the prestigious National Centre for Promotion of Employment of Disabled Person’s (NCPEDP) Shell Helen Keller Award
12. Partnership with Galladuet University for Deaf, Washington and University of Lancshire for research based projects on effective methodologies for deaf education