My uncle was a lifelong member of the NRA. But I think their mission has shifted from one that was worthy of charitable status to a big money lobbying organization that should not have a nonprofit status.
I am disgusted by their approach to rational gun sense and I think they distort the 2nd amendment. I think it abhorrent that NRA has targeted those struggling with mental illness (the large majority of which are never violent) to shift the discussion of rational gun sense and universal background checks to blame a vulnerable population that is already stigmatized.
I would NEVER support them because their mission is badly flawed, contorted & definitely not worthy of a charity.
The NRA has been by my side since the first time I bought and trained with a gun. I take my right to self-defense very seriously.
I volunteer for hours on end, year after year. This has been one the most rewarding experiences for me and the members I meet with. Everyone I meet with is incredibly friendly, realistic and down to earth. There are so many types of NRA members that you can't really say that NRA is for old white guys. So take a second and remember this when the lamestream press talks dirty about NRA.
The NRA continually trains and educates regular American families like mine to enjoy shooting sports safely and responsibly, and to think about what freedom and liberty mean to my life.
The NRA is nothing more than a Tax Exempt advertising firm for the Gun Manufacturers. The NRA has bought and own members of Congress who, at the insistence of their master (the NRA) have written laws that put the general public at risk. For instance:
1) Senator Todd Tiahrt (R) - who is owned by the NRA - added an amendment to a bill regarding the ATF. The rule change written by the NRA and known as the Tiahrt Amendment, forced the justice department to destroy within 24 hours the records of any gun buyers. The overall impact of the Amendment made it much harder for police to clamp down on illegally distributed guns.
2) Senator Sensenbrenner (R) - who is also owned by the NRA - added an amendment to the Patriot Act that was co-authored by the NRA - that prohibited the President from appointing a Director to the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). Thus, there has been NO ATF director in 6 years. The result is without an ATF Director, laws. Without an ATF Director, gun sales on the black market cannot be monitored.
3) NRA Vice President Wayne LaPierre said, “If I were to select a jack-booted group of fascists who were perhaps as large a danger to American society as I could pick today, I would pick the ATF." -- It was that comment that compelled President HW Bush to drop his NRA membership.
4) The NRA backed legislation prohibiting AFT agents from inspecting a firearms dealer more than once a year.
5) The NRA fought against the creation of a federal registry to track gun sales and backed legislation from releasing information from its firearms trace database.
6) The NRA opposes legislation that would close the gun show loophole requiring background checks for all gun sales.
7) The NRA opposed measures that would allow background checks to block terror suspects from buying guns.
8) The NRA fought for an Indiana Law that allows people to shoot police officers who are called to a home on Domestic Violence (see Indiana Law)
9) The NRA fight for laws that will block employers from banning firearms in their place of business.
10) The NRA fights against laws that will enable law enforcement from enforcing current laws.
I was chosen for NRA Foundation’s Youth Education Summit (YES). We are the future leaders of this country thanks to training and scholarships from the NRA!
Review from Guidestar
There are few other organizations as focused and effective as the NRA. I am a Life Member, and Firearms Instructor. They fight brilliantly for the protection of the Second Amendment, and have so many incredible programs and benefits.
Simply the world's top resource for firearms education, safety, and training. The NRA has been around since the Civil War; Yankee generals founded it for civilian training. Single-issue strength!