Oops! You must enter a search term greater than 3 characters.
MIL MILAGROS INC Overview
The mission of Mil Milagros, Inc. ™ is to ensure that all children in Guatemala graduate from sixth grade healthy, literate, and prepared to continue their education. USAID reports that only 40% of children complete sixth grade. Guatemala has the fourth highest rate of child malnutrition in the world with fifty percent of the children malnourished (World Food Programme). In some Maya communities, the rate of malnutrition exceeds 80% (La Prensa Libre).
Mil Milagros partners with 5 schools and communities to provide over 1,100 children with nutritious hot lunches, hygiene supplies and lessons and educational materials.
• Since 2010, 96% of 6th graders at Mil Milagros partners schools graduated (the national average is 40%).
• Over 550 mothers and grandmothers volunteer with Mil Milagros to prepare the children’s snacks and meals; over 200 mother and grandmother leaders have been trained in nutrition, hygiene and public speaking.
• All school-aged children develop healthy hygiene habits in school that they also practice in their homes including: tooth brushing, handwashing, and using toilet paper.
• In the two communities where Mil Milagros has partnered with Wuqu’ Kawoq since 2011 to reduce childhood malnutrition, there has been a 52% and 100% reduction in severe stunting, respectively. Through the training of mothers, monthly vitamin delivery, and monthly medical clinics, the lives of these children are improving.
• Partnerships have been formed to provide access to healthy drinking water, school and home construction, and healthcare services.
Invite friends and colleagues to share their experiences with this nonprofit
I am continually inspired by the work of Mil Milagros. Over 5 years ago, I attended a house party that was selling beautiful jewelry and bags made by artisians in Guatemala. I was hooked, once I saw the smiling faces of the children who were benefitting from the money raised at this event. I couldn'...
I visited Mil Milagros this summer and was awed by the work they are doing to give hope to the families there. I have been working with Artesenia sales for five years, raising money and telling the story, and am re-committed to helping in any way I can to support the work that is being done. To ...
See all 25 reviews »
Mil Milagros is a model program for combating malnutrition. It has sparked amazing changes. I've seen the program in action on visits to participating schools over several years. There is always a buzz in the kitchen where the moms are preparing carefully planned nutritious lunches and snacks. Hand ...
Support This Nonprofit
Promote This Nonprofit
Great Nonprofits badges allow you to raise awareness of your favorite organizations on your own web sites. for text link or graphic badge.