Global Education Fund
Rating: 0 stars 0 0 review
Location: 1105 Spruce St Boulder CO 80302 USA
Global Education Fund improves the lives of vulnerable children around the world through education.
Global Education Fund provides children in need with access toeducation, quality learning tools, and leadership development with thegoal of empowering them to build a stable livelihood, creating apathway out of poverty for them and their families.
- Needs-Based Approach. GEF studies the localenvironment and listens to local partners in order to understand localneeds. It works with local partners to develop customized strategizesto respond to local needs. This approach has ensured that GEF programsare successful across differing situations and in a variety ofcountries, and assures that communities feel ownership of projects.
- Effective Partnering to Meet Goals. GEF hasdeveloped high quality partnerships with experienced and trustedcommunity leaders, who are at the core of its success. It has a provenability to identify, attract, and leverage quality partnerships inmultiple sectors, both for providing services in the communities inwhich it works abroad, and for enriching its funding, logistics, andother functions in its home base in the U.S.
- Unparalleled Access to Book Sources and Distribution Channels.GEF’s founder worked in the publishing industry, and the organizationhas strategically strengthened and expanded its relationships with avast network of NGOs, publishing companies, book distributors,multi-nationals and universities since its founding.
- An Efficient Model that Leverages Every Dollar.Through the strategic use of donated books, every dollar contributed toGEF yields several dollars worth of books for students abroad.Additionally, GEF programs are designed to have a multiplier effect onthe communities in which they operate. For example, the LeadershipProgram ensures that participating students not only get a formaleducation, but also learn the importance of and tools for giving backto their communities.
- Strong Cohesive Leadership. From the beginning,GEF has benefitted from committed leaders who share a unified vision ofwhat the organization can achieve, and a uniform philosophy ofdevelopment.
Programs: In 2008 GEF launched the Kenya Leadership Program in response to the complex educational needs of Kenyan orphans. Vast numbers of poor Kenyan orphans are unable to complete high school because they cannot afford the school fees.. Many of the poor children who actually complete secondary school remain trapped in poverty because they lack the skills and network of support to put their education to use. A classroom education, while critical, does not provide most impoverished orphans with the skills, experiences and relationships they need in order to find employment and reach their full potential. The GEF Leadership Program was specifically created in response to this challenge. It provides impoverished Kenyan orphans and vulnerable youth, particularly young women, with a carefully developed program, including: scholarships for four years of high school; skills training through skill building workshops, experiential learning opportunities, and community service projects; and a network of supportive relationships through peer support groups, university student mentors, and adult coaches and advisors. Partners in the Leadership Program include secondary schools, a Kenyan university and Kenyan non-profits. In addition, GEF is advised by a Kenyan business and civic leaders.
Filter Reviews by Role
Promote This Nonprofit
GreatNonprofits badges allow you to raise awareness of your favorite nonprofits on your own web sites!