Direct beneficiaries per year: 1,200+
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: Help in many ways! Here’s a few examples:
• Teacher’s assistant in the classroom as a role model for student success.
• Mentor for individual students, encouraging them to achieve their potential.
• Tutor, helping students excel in the classroom.
• Event volunteer, so First Place can raise money in support of programs.
• Activity Supervisor, spending time with students outside the classroom.
• Receptionist, greeting the community as them come to First Place.
• Club Leader, using your skills & passions to help First Place families discover & develop their own interests.
• Professional partner, keeping our school & business in working order.
We especially need male volunteer mentors to spend 1 hour a week with First Place students ages 6 to 13.
Contact Joyce Scoggins for more information. firstname.lastname@example.org
Geographic areas served: Greater Seattle Area
First Place educates and nurtures children whose families struggle with the risk or reality of homelessness, where we offer housing, culturally relevant education and support services enabling families to achieve permanent stability.
First Place is the only agency in Washington State providing high quality education to children whose families are homeless. We are both a social services agency and school for children & families struggling with trauma, poverty & homelessness.
Our education program includes pre-k through 6th grade classrooms and after school program featuring community-based curriculum and social/emotional support. We also meet the basic needs of children through nutritious meals, clothing, hygiene, transportation, school supplies, health screening and mental health services. Our support services for families include housing, life skills, job readiness, training, education and health services. Our goal is long-term family stabilization which breaks the cycle of homelessness.
Our vision is Hope, Home, and Education for every child, one family at time.