Education Through Music, Inc. Overview
Profile ( less )
New York 10168
Target demographics: low-income children in New York City in grades Pre-K through 8th grade.
Direct beneficiaries per year: 14,000 kids
Geographic areas served: New York City
Programs: During 2012-13, ETM's partner school program provides music education to over 14,000 at-risk students in 28 schools in NYC who would otherwise have limited or no access to the arts.
ETM also advises schools and organizations in other communities, including two independent organizations licensed to replicate ETM's model in Los Angeles (ETM-LA, Inc.) and the San Francisco Bay Area (ETM-Bay Area, Inc.)
Since 1991, ETM has harnessed the power of music to enhance the academic performance and general development of its students. Our work provides these children with the skills to become better learners and the confidence to live in an increasingly challenging world.
* During each year, students showed significant improvement in musical skills.
* Evidence suggests improved test performance in Math and English Language Arts is associated with ETM program participation.
* ETM Music Teachers are highly rated by principals and classroom teachers.
* Relationships between ETM and partner school staff are mutually supportive and effective in creating true partnerships. The support and involvement of school leadership is a key aspect of the program's success
* Examples of collaboration and integration occurred on a more frequent and in-depth basis with each succeeding year.
* Over time, the number of academic teachers in ETM partner schools who reported using music and the other arts to enrich their classroom instruction increased.
* Principal and teacher evaluations of ETM professional development offerings remained consistently strong. Over the three years, teachers reported high levels of agreement that facilitators were effective, that there was an open atmosphere for learning and discussion, and that the workshops accomplished their objectives.