APS Foundation of America, Inc. Overview
Someone who had 3 hours of volunteer time could: help with answering questions on the our support forums. You could also write a more cited technical article for our newsletter that could also be published in various places. You could also write and produce a YouTube video for the APS. You could also attend a conference, set up a booth for us at a session that the APSFA was invited to attend.
Geographic areas served: USA
Our Goal Is: To offer understanding and support to individuals, family, friends, and care givers of Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome; To offer information about and education on Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome; To support research regarding Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome by keeping the latest information available and referring people to such agencies who do research; To raise funds to provide information and education through public donations, grants, fundraisers, sponsorships, and bequests; and To bring national focus to Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome in the United States.
The APS Foundation of America, Inc. is the leading United States nonprofit health agency dedicated specifically to bringing national awareness to Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS), the major cause of multiple miscarriages, thrombosis, and young strokes and heart attacks. We are a volunteer-run, community-based, non-profit organization.
(These are in no particular order.)
* Maintained 501(c)3 Non Profit Status granted under Section 170, 2055, 2106, 2522. We also were granted an advanced ruling as a Public Charity.
* Filed Taxes.
* Registered to solicit in the states we were required to do so.
* Updated APSFA Booklet and reprinted it.
* Updated APS Foundation of America, Inc brochure and reprinted it.
* Made all brochure & booklets that have bibliographies available – available online.
* Published quarterly newsletters that are available free to the public on our website – benefited at least 400,000 people.
* Donated & Mailed Brochures & Booklets –benefited at least 20,000 people.
* Donated Printed Publications to Public Libraries – Unknown number of people benefited.
* Invited to several large professional medical conferences.
* Attended 13th International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies.
* Bronze Sponsor for the 13th International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies.
* Sponsored & provided the prize for the winner of the Young Investigators Award presented at the 13th International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies.
* Sponsored the Autoimmune Diseases Summit: The Global State of Autoimmunity Today.
* Attended the What Every American Needs to Know about Autoimmune Disease sponsored by the AARDA in both MA & MO.
* Represented at the Annual Venous Disease Coalition Meeting.
* Represented at the UCDavis Health System: Update on the Management of Thromboembolic Disorders.
* Represented at the American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting
* Represented at the Lupus Foundation of America, Philadelphia Tri-State Chapter Living Well With Lupus Symposium.
* Represented at the AARDA Global Summit: The Global State of Autoimmunity Today at the Church Center for the United Nations in New York.
* Became members of the Coalition to Prevent Deep Vein Thrombosis.
* Networking with other Non-Profit Organizations and medical professionals.
* Maintained our Webpage –benefiting 142,143 people based on the index page.
* Maintained the forum to make it more user friendly – benefiting 189,281 people.
* Maintained HONCode Certification on APS Foundation of America, Inc.
* Maintained HONCode Certification on APS Friends & Support Forum.
* Earned the GuideStar Exchange Seal: Partner in Trust.
* Awarded “The Hope Reward”. Our website now joins a select group of health websites that adheres to the highest standards of health information quality, ethical behavior, and respect for consumer privacy.
* Working on obtaining the Better Business Bureau Accredited Charity Status.
* Maintained several blogs & pages on various social networking sites on various servers to get awareness out – benefited at least 500,000 people.
* Launched June 9th as World APS Awareness Day.
* Continued June as APS Awareness Month.
* Launched press releases – benefited at least 50,000 people.
* Launched Radio Public Service Announcements – benefited at least 1,000,000.
o Café Press – approx 370 items sold
o World APS Day Items – approx 30 items sold
o APSFA’s 5 Year Birthday Party – 17 participated
o Holiday Related:
* Giving Tree – 32 participated
* Café Press Collectors Edition – 34 participated
* Made Press in 3 different media venues that we are aware of – at least 100,000,000 people benefited
o House, MD – “Instant Karma” (original air date: 10/15/09) – benefited at least 16,000,000 people.
o Mystery Diagnosis – “Falling Through the Cracks” (re- aired several times, original air date: 3/6/2006) - unknown how many people benefited
o The Beatles Network (APS Awareness month world wide awareness.)
* Forum Information:
o Average Number of Visitors: 3,971/month - High: 4,460 - Low: 3,560
o Average Number of Visits: 10,493/month – High: 12,183 – Low: 8,683
o Average Max Online: 17/month – High: 28 – Low: 10
o Average Page Views: 33,502 – High: 41,595 – Low: 27,073
o Average Number Posts: 583/month – High: 970 – Low: 228
o Average Number of Private Messages: 143 – High: 241 – Low: 83
o Number of Participants: 1,962
* Continue to find more avenues for fundraising.
* Continue to collaborate with more organizations (both lay & professional).
* Attend or have materials available for more conferences.
* Apply for more grants.
* Continue to search for more medical advisers.
* Continue to attempt getting APS mentioned in more publications, including magazines.
* Continue to making more videos and learn how to make podcasts.
* Consider tapping in more social networking sites.
* Consider going to a Board of Directors of 5, including one medical adviser & one public non-APS person.
* Consider making June 9th World APS Awareness Day formally via a bill through Congress.
* Consider making June APS Awareness Month formally via a bill through Congress.
* Consider making a Scholarship fund for those going into the Medical Field.
* Consider making a formal Scholarship fund for APS Research.
Support This Nonprofit
Promote This Nonprofit
Great Nonprofits badges allow you to raise awareness of your favorite organizations on your own web sites. for text link or graphic badge.Get badge