African Medical & Research Foundation USA Overview
Profile ( less )
New York 10036
Geographic areas served: East, South and increasingly West Africa. Students from more than 40 African countries benefit from our training and consulting programs.
• One in 20 African women dies from complications related to pregnancy. AMREF’s maternal and child health services work to ensure that women deliver their babies with a trained health worker, which reduces maternal mortality dramatically.
• Africa needs an estimated additional 1.5 million health workers. Since its inception, AMREF has trained over 500,000 health workers who now reach annually almost 60 million people in Africa.
• Every year, there are more than 300 million cases of malaria globally. AMREF provides insecticide-treated bed nets that help save the life of 3,000 children per day.
• AMREF’s ‘Flying Doctors’ are on call 24/7. Over the years they have performed more than 45,000 emergency airlifts and over 60,000 life-saving surgeries in remote rural health centers.
• Together with the World Health Organization, AMREF has developed best practices for clinical laboratories, which are now disseminated across Africa and beyond.
• AMREF conducts ongoing research into the implementation, tracking and metrics for public health programs.
Support This Nonprofit
Promote This Nonprofit
Great Nonprofits badges allow you to raise awareness of your favorite organizations on your own web sites. for text link or graphic badge.Get badge